T-40 Amphibious Soviet Light Tank from STC Start 1/35 scale
By Alvaro Bortoletto
This is one of those challenges that we keep us motived for make a model kit better. This a veteran T-40 Light Tank from STC Start from Russia probably from the long ago eighties............
Needless to say that the kit is bellow the current industry standard, parts are not so well detailed, plastic resin quality sucks, many details are missing, etc, etc... But I decided to accept the challenge of making it better.
Based on the information available in several AFV website, the following improvements were done:
- Replaced all body molded rivets by metallic ones (+200 rivets and hex bolt heads).
- Added a workable tracks.
- Mudguards were replaced by styrene and PE made.
- Added vision ports and pistol ports for the driver station and the turret.
- 0.25 mm plates were used to eliminate seams between the upper and lower hull.
- Road wheels were replaced with T-60 Aeroplast kit.
- Improved air intake and exhaust.
- Engine exhaust pipe was reworked.
- Plasticard made inspection hatches were added on the rear portion.
- New brass propeller replaced the plastic one, and twin rudder and mounting were scratch build.
- 12.7 mm DShK MG came from the Zveda kit nº 3609.
- 7.62 mm DT MG received a Model Point (MP3545) metal barrel.
- For the turret marking, used transfers, and side slogan was painted using a mask.
Applied a spray primer and then used an acrylic Russian green as the main color. For the weathering I have used filters, oil paints and pigments.