04.jpg (76161 bytes)

Yamaha "OW01R1"

1/12 scale

by Ezra Shemuly


Legal Notice

No material from Modeler Site any Web site owned, operated, licensed, or controlled by Mario Covalski & Associated may be copied, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way, except that you may download one copy of the materials on any single computer for your personal, non-commercial home use only, provided you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of Mario Covalski & Associated's copyright and other proprietary rights.

Read More here > Legal notice

I had the Tamiya Yamaha FZR750R (#14058) laying on my shelf during several months, after I bought it on E-Bay for 5$ from a very nice guy in Hong-Kong, when I got a wrecked Tamiya Yamaha YZF-R1 (item # 14073) as a gift from a friend in Australia; so I decided to build a streetfighter.
Streetfighters are a leading trend now in Europe, basically is a chopped, naked, radical sportbike. You begin removing the fairings, and from there the sky is the limit.


01.jpg (70051 bytes)
06.jpg (77914 bytes)

Building a streetfighter

Anyway, I decided to use the FZR frame and engine, and detail them as much as I could since the bike was going to be naked and the mechanics visible. I used the wider R1 wheels, the beefier R1 fork and trees, the stronger R1 brakes and the R1 tailpiece which has a better look.
The exhaust is from another model, an Aoshima Honda CB400SF (#25918).
This pipe was chosen because its rise high and it tucks very close under the tail, giving a very radical look. It was mounted into the OW engine without any significant changes.
For the rear swingarm, I used the original FZR, I gently cut off the top bracing on the R1 swingarm (being careful not to harm the welding marks), smoothened it, and glued it to the OW arm.


07.jpg (72550 bytes) 08.jpg (72045 bytes)


I decided to go without a front fender, so the fork legs had to be modified, to remove the fender struts. I also decided to use a straight handlebar, and not the original, low mounted clip-on; a very common modification in streetfighters.
So I used an old upper triple tree for the handlebar mounts, over the R1 tree.
The handlebar was made from scratch (actually, I just cut a piece from a wire clothes hanger and polished it) and the small mirror is a modified rear blinker on a piece of wire.
I modified the R1 tailpiece to make it smoother, and then changed the rear/brake light/ license plate carrier piece so it would fit deep into the tail; giving a clean line.
The fuel tank was also cut to fit, and the rear shock gas tank mounting plate was shortened so that it would fit snugly under the tail.


09.jpg (96081 bytes) 02.jpg (81503 bytes)

Support us ordering our notes in PDF > Here