Building the Lancia Stratos HF Rally #4 Pirelli 1978 San Remo - Doyusha 1/12 scale

by Christian Franke © 2013 Modeler Site

Legal Notice

No material from Modeler Site any Web site owned, operated, licensed, or controlled by Damian Covalski may be copied, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way, except that you may download one copy of the materials on any single computer for your personal, non-commercial home use only, provided you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of Damian Covalski's copyright and other proprietary rights.

Read More here > Legal notice

The Lancia Stratos was one of the most successful and beautiful rally cars of all times. During the 80’s decade, Nito and Otaki manufactured two 1/12 scale model kits which molds were later sold to Doyusha. They were basically equal, but one of them represented the Monte Carlo Rally car and the other the Safari’s. They represent the Scuderia Lancia Alitalia


Doyusha offered both in the 90s and later only the Monte Carlo’s, making finally the San Remo Rally with the Pirelli team livery.

I’ve been trying to get this kit but it’s discontinued although still it’s possible to find it from some online stores/shops and on ebay. I bought one that had been partially built, which involves double work, missing parts, etc.

This article aims at sharing with pictures the experience to rescue and old odd kit, improving it to the best of my skills

The paints I used were mainly Tamiya TS spray cans and some of their X and XF colours, the clear coat was from Dupli Colour.

The kit

The following images show how the new kits would look.

Unfortunately the kit I got was badly started and looked like this.


I bought partially started. Some body parts were painted, and the previous owner managed to strip them. The engine was glued together as well as some of the chassis and interior parts.

The chassis was covered with a very thick and odd paint layer, which needed a lot of hard to get removed. Fortunately the body was unpainted!.
There were many broken parts, the windshield, all the small switches from the dashboard, etc.

Checking the whole, I wondered if it was really worth spending so much effort in assembling this model which final result was uncertain due to the kit difficulties and all the extra problems such as the broken and missing parts.

After one year thinking about if I should sell it or not, I decided to take the challenge!

My kit was the Alitalia version, but I wanted to build the Stratos with the Pirelli livery which is attractive in my liking.

Building / the challenge begins

The first step was to make dry-fitting from the body parts. I realized that there was a lot of work ahead.


This note is offered in PDF format to be read or printed using Acrobat reader, contact our webmaster > Here

Includes more than 72 pics, here we show only the text pages.


Esta Nota es ofrecida en formato PDF, el cual puede ser leído o impreso usando el Acrobat reader, contacte a nuestro webmaster > Aquí

Incluye más de 72 imágenes, aquí solo mostramos las paginas de texto.


Big size photos are only available in our PDF format.

Support us ordering our notes in PDF > Here