Building the Sd.Kfz. 251/10 Ausf B from an old Tamiya kit

1/35 scale

by Eduardo Andreoli © 2005 Modeler Site

Legal Notice

No material from Modeler Site any Web site owned, operated, licensed, or controlled by Damian Covalski may be copied, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way, except that you may download one copy of the materials on any single computer for your personal, non-commercial home use only, provided you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of Damian Covalski's copyright and other proprietary rights.

Read More here > Legal notice

With the Dragon SdKkfz 251/7 ref: 6223 (three in one) in hand, and after checking it in depth, I found, as it’s usual with this brand, a significant number of spare parts. Some of them belonging to others Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf D versions, but many are suitable for the Ausf C chassis.

At once. I thought I could improve the old Tamiya Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf C (ref 35020) which was resting on the shelf, but…why to make an Ausf C?.

The last kits from Dragon and AFV capture superbly this chassis version, and nowadays the C(s) as well as the D(s) are too common indeed. Then: why not converting the Tamiya Ausf C kit in a previous model Ausf B which is not available?. Comparing the drawings, it’s not a very difficult work, the point is to get down to work.



The Tamiya kit is very old (around the mid 70s) and has been completely superseded by the new and advanced manufacturing technologies; besides of featuring mistakes, that are not present in the new Dragon and AFV kits.

It would be endless to list the conversions and improvements kits available for any Sd.Kfz. 251, either PE or resin conversions.

Among that great variety of aftermarket, I found in my stock of modeling stuff, a PE from Voyager for a Dragon Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf C (ref 35048) without use. If I hadn’t got this set, I would not have carried out the conversion, since the Tamiya’s interior is inaccurate, extremely crude. But we should admit that it’s not worth criticizing such an old kit, remember that there was nothing better a couple of years ago.

The main modification to adapt the PE, is to remove the interiors of the Tamiya kit.

The floor and instrument panel were redone using 0,5mm plasticard, and the etched parts cyano glued trying to get a perfect fit following the instructions and using the discarded original parts as guide.


This note is offered in PDF format to be read or printed using Acrobat reader, contact our webmaster > Here

Includes more than 80 pics, here we show only the text pages.


Esta Nota es ofrecida en formato PDF, el cual puede ser leído o impreso usando el Acrobat reader, contacte a nuestro webmaster > Aquí

Incluye más de 80 imágenes, aquí solo mostramos las paginas de texto.


Support us ordering our notes in PDF > Here