Mvc-471f.jpg (99098 bytes)

Focke Wulf Ta 152 H-1

Dragon 1:48 scale

by Marcelo Scaminaci Russo


Even though there is not any link between their two names, the Ta.152 constitutes the ultimate development of the Fw.190 cell. The Ta.152 doesn't look like him but he represents the last evolution of the basis model, improved with the experience acquired all along the conflict. This Fw. was used in the last struggle of the Luftwaffe against high altitude bombers. Therefore, he was endowed of a pressurized cockpit, of lengthened wing and of a special motor.


Mvc-458f.jpg (71493 bytes)

The project started in 1940 when the Focke Wulf company studied new capacities for her fighters in order to create a new aircraft dedicated to high altitudes. The main problems concerned the motor that had to be able to maintain a constant strength. Daimler Benz and Junkers proposed some engines that came close of developpers wishes but nothing really convincing. In the end 1942, the necessity of a high altitude fighter became pressing with new American B 29 project able to operate at high altitudes never reached until then. The German Air ministry (RLM = Reisch Luftfärt Ministerium) asked Messerschmitt and Focke Wolf to prepare plans of a new High Altitude Interceptor and it was finally the projects of Kurt Tank that took back the government's favors. The two planes were named Ta.152 Bs and Ta.152 Hs, using his inventor's initials, what was in fact a German homage to Kurt Tank. The two models differentiated themselves by a bigger span for the H. model. 

Their other performances were more or less the same (both using a Jumo 213E engine, fitted with the supercharger MW 50, water/methanol injection). Displaying a superior speed in altitude that any fighter of the time and an enormous ceiling at that time, the Ta.152 preserved an excellent maneuverability. During a flight of test, a Fw. Ta.152 flew by Kurt Tank himself had a funny misadventure. Whereas he rejoined the city of Cottbus, he was confronted to two American Mustangs. Kurt Tank managed to get out of that difficult situation easily by putting the engines at top speed !! He let behind him the hostile rooted by the spot... Germany constructed close to 150 Ta.152 Hs but they served little in operation. Some were used to defend landing fields of the Messerschmitts Me 262 Schwalbe (Swallow) German Jet Fighter. Indeed, the German jetplanes were impossible to touch otherwise. Some fighter squadron was fully equipped with Ta.152.

Assembling the Ta 152 H

Many times I wrote articles for this excellent magazine, where the main poin of interest was a Dragon´s model. So, is not necessary to reassert my condition of " fan " for kits from this manufacturer.
To be faithful to my practice ( like many others modelers ), I bought this 1:48th Ta 152 H about 10 years ago, and then put it in a shelf. One day on January 2002 I told myself: " I will build this plane !!"

In this way, I started a job that took almost 150 hours. Due to the fit between different parts is excellent, the unions resulted in a clean joint and minimal filler being required throughout this kit. When fitting the wings I found it easier to fit the single lower wing ( part B3) to the fuselage before adding the upper section.


Mvc-460f.jpg (122716 bytes)

This piece ( B3) was slightly warped down; I solved this problem dunking it in 100 degree hot water for a few seconds, and then bending against the warp. Finally, I held the part straight until it was cool. This process assured the correct dihedral of the aircraft.

As well the undercarriage have some problems. The right leg ( part G20) was slightly larger than left leg; was necessary to cut about two millimeters of the upper portion of this.

Finally, the tail wheel strut was bad moulded. If you assemble the tail wheel just as instruction sheet says, it will stay fitted to the other way round. The components which I had problems with were parts A22/G12/G11. I solved this matter assembling all structure, and then, cutting the wheel portion and turning it 180 degrees.

Finishing the model

Painting details and decals are provided for one aircraft in standard Luftwaffe colors for the end of World War Two. I followed this instructions, applying RLM 77 Light Gray undersides and low portion of fuselage, and RLM 82 Light Green/RLM 83 Dark Green in upper surface of it. On the upper surfaces of wings, the colours applied were RLM 75 Gray Violet/ RLM 83, in a splinter pattern. I used Tamiya enamels for this job.


Mvc-464f.jpg (139825 bytes)


I only used some stencils from the decals sheet; the Balkenkreuz and other badges were painted with the mask system. All the model was oversprayed with two coats of semi-gloss acrylic varnish from Gunze.
Finally, I applied the distinctive exhaust patterns and discoloration typical of the real plane. For this, you may consult the techniques in the Modeler Site´s Archive section.


Not really for the beginner. Although there weren't many problems in construction, it does require a reasonable amount of skill and experience to produce a good finished model which certainly makes a nice addition to any Luftwaffe collection.


Mvc-472f.jpg (123730 bytes) Mvc-473f.jpg (118471 bytes) Mvc-461f.jpg (144004 bytes) Mvc-457f.jpg (146393 bytes)
Mvc-470f.jpg (76662 bytes) Mvc-463f.jpg (167707 bytes) Mvc-466f.jpg (149729 bytes) Mvc-467f.jpg (81855 bytes)
Mvc-459f.jpg (134177 bytes) Mvc-468f.jpg (87996 bytes)

Support us ordering our notes in PDF > Here