Superdetailing the Tamiya Ferrari 641 1/12 scale
by Mario Covalski © 2008
No material from Modeler Site any Web site owned, operated, licensed, or controlled by Mario Covalski & Associated may be copied, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way, except that you may download one copy of the materials on any single computer for your personal, non-commercial home use only, provided you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of Mario Covalski & Associated's copyright and other proprietary rights.
Read More here > Legal notice
About one year ago, or maybe less, my good friend Ralph Lugten sent me some photographs of the Ferrari 642 and 641 that Jean Alesi had used sometime. These photographs clearly showed the differences between the 642A and 642B models. At that time I had the idea - still have it - to turn a Tamiya's 641 into a 642A, since they are very similar.
This idea came to my mind after building the Ferrari 412T2 from Museum Collection, because I had some extra "8" numbers left which belonged to J. Alesi in 1991 (the "28" of course). One of these photographs immediately drew my attention; the one where Alesi was testing the 641 at Le Castellet in the European Winter '91 season. This car was basically the 641 used by Mansell in 1990, but bearing the name Alesi on the Marlboro sponsor logo and without number.
Two months ago I was working on the construction of what would be the Ferrari 642A (I will soon write a review on its construction from a Tamiya's 641 and of course build it), when I came across some pictures of Bill Atridge's model. At that time I was using as reference the great work by Andy Mathews published in TMMI some years ago.
I decided to change my way of construction and use the Perfect Parts super details kit. You can read the review I wrote on this detail set following this link:
As I already indicated in my November 2000 review on detailing a McLaren MP 4/6 with plastic and wire, I really enjoy working just with plastic very much while I'm really not an expert with photoetched and metal parts on a high quality model like Tamiya's 641.
Summing up, I built a Ferrari 641 model in a relatively short time if we consider the complexity of this model and the fact that I wanted to finish this article as soon as possible. Obviously, my "conversion" project was postponed, but at the end of the article you will notice that I took the artistic liberty (that's the good thing about not participating in contests) to add the number "28" and the name "Alesi" to it.
A second instructions manual
As I meant this article to be useful to anybody who wants to pursue this project, I decided to write it in the form of an instruction manual, following the steps set forth in the Tamiya's instruction manual, but also indicating all modifications to be made in order to insert the "Perfect Parts" metal parts, along with suggestions and advice on my experience with this model on every stage of the construction.
I believe it is important to note that if you want to build such a complex model as this, using a Perfect Parts detail set, you should have some previous experience on construction of a similar straight-from-the-box model. If you have never successfully built a 1/12 complex model, I would not recommend this type of project.
Now, let's begin!
For this first stage of construction, there are no significant changes to be noted, you just have to bear in mind that some parts must be replaced and the motor block must be slightly modified for the addition of the trimming plates of the exhaust fittings.
This special issue is only available in pdf format. This is a technical article of 86 pages. Includes more than 250 high res pictures. > Here
Esta edición especial está sólo disponible en formato pdf. Esta es una nota técnica de 86 páginas. Incluye más de 250 imágenes de alta resolución. > Aquí