Dsc01314.jpg (267438 bytes)

Improving the Porsche 910 Tamiya 1/12 scale 

by Hugh Rockwell © 2003 Modeler Site

Legal Notice

No material from Modeler Site any Web site owned, operated, licensed, or controlled by Mario Covalski & Associated may be copied, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way, except that you may download one copy of the materials on any single computer for your personal, non-commercial home use only, provided you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of Mario Covalski & Associated's copyright and other proprietary rights.

Read More here > Legal notice

From its beginning Porsche had built cars to be modified and raced by private owners. As the company progressed in competition, it realized that it had to build cars specifically for racing. History details that the first true competition Porsche was the 906 although even it was designed around some leftover parts from the 904. The 910 began life as the Ollon-Villars Spyder, a hill climb car that with further development became the endurance racer detailed in the Tamiya kit.


Dsc01312.jpg (159951 bytes)

Dsc01328.jpg (200717 bytes)

Development at Porsche was fast paced during the mid 60's and the company would start building a new race car as soon as the previous design was just beginning competition. The 910 was powered by either fuel injected or normally aspirated 2 litre 6 cylinder Type 901 engines. Occasionally 8 cylinder engines were used as well.

This car is reported to have the shortest life of any Porsche race car. Somewhere between 28 and 31 of the cars were built and raced during the 1966 and 1967 seasons. Although it was successful in competition with class wins at Daytona and overall victory at Targa-Florio and the Nurburgring, it was overshadowed by the big displacement Fords and Ferraris of the period.
In typically Porsche practice, when it was replaced with the 907, the 910's were sold to privateers. It hard to say how many of the cars are still in existence. In my search for reference, I found what appears to be about 6 different cars. Surely there are more in private ownership.


I purchased a set of Studio 27 Nurburgring decals and had planned to build the car in that silver livery but when I was looking through old Excellence magazines for reference, I found an article on a 904 which was privately campaigned by Ben Pon in 1964-65. His cars were finished in a bright orange in honor of his home country, the Netherlands. I decided that would be a good livery for the 910.


The model is constructed from Tamiya's 1/12 Big Scale Porsche 910 #12003 and was first released in 1967. The kit has a somewhat interesting history because until recently, it was never re-released by Tamiya. Many stories reported that molds had been lost or damaged and collector prices soared to nearly $250 US.

Since the re-release, there is an adequate supply, and it can be purchased for about $70 US. In typical Tamiya fashion from their early big scale kits, the moldings are very clean, fit is superb and detail is impressive considering it was first kitted so long ago.

In addition to the base kit, I used two detail sets from Acu-stion in Japan, wiring and tubing from Detail Master and a variety of PE and resin items from Replicas And Miniatures of Maryland. I also scratch built a number of items from aluminum, brass and cast resin.

The Acu-stion sets deserve mention because they are a mixed blessing. Acu-stion is a small Japanese aftermarket producer that sells a large variety of PE and turned items.

One set consisted of six turned aluminum velocity stacks. They are neatly done with proper proportion.

The other set is a PE fret, which is very good quality with lots of relief etching. Included are four brake rotors, seatbelt hardware, steering wheel center, windshield wiper, grill panels for the front oil cooler, quick release fasteners, rear view mirror, hinge plates, a inside rear view mirror and a Porsche crest.

There are a few other items that I really can't identify.

All of the paints used were Krylon and Testor Metalizer lacquers from spray cans.

This article is offered in PDF format to be read or printed using Acrobat reader, contact our webmaster > Here

Includes more than 53 pics, here we show only the text pages.


Esta Nota es ofrecida en formato PDF, el cual puede ser leído o impreso usando el Acrobat reader, contacte a nuestro webmaster > Aquí

Incluye más de 53 imágenes, aquí solo mostramos las paginas de texto.



Big size photos are only available in our PDF format.

Support us ordering our notes in PDF > Here